The Wyandot people or Wendat, also called the Huron, are Iroquoian-speaking peoples of North America who emerged as a tribe around the north shore of Lake Ontario.
Before the 17th century the Iroquois drove some Huron from the St. The Huron gradually reestablished some influence in Ohio and Michigan, but the U.S. government eventually forced tribal members to sell their lands. They subsequently migrated to Kansas and then to Indian Territory (present-day Oklahoma).
Prior to 1600, the Huron -Wendat numbered about 20,000 to 25,000 people, but between 1634 and 1642 they were reduced to about 9,000 by a series of epidemics, particularly measles, influenza and smallpox. Today, the Huron -Wendat First Nation in Wendake, Quebec numbers 4,056 registered members, as of July 2018.
Then the Hurons became trading partners of New France. The Iroquois felt threatened by this new powerful alliance between the French and the Hurons. They made many raids on the Hurons, and by the middle of the century, virtually wiped them out. The remainder fled to Quebec for protection by the French colonists.
Quahadis were the hardest, fiercest, least yielding component of a tribe that had long had the reputation as the most violent and warlike on the continent; if they ran low on water, they were known to drink the contents of a dead horse’s stomach, something even the toughest Texas Ranger would not do.
The Huron Indians were part of the Iroquoian people who were named Hurons by the French in the 17th century. Hurons, meaning “boar’s head,” came from the Old French hure, which referred to the male Hurons ‘ bristly coiffure. The Huron name is usually referred to those who were of importance to the Canadians.
One of the most famous things the Hurons were known for is their involvement in the fur trade. Samuel de Champlain, founder of New France, developed a close relationship with the Hurons and they became trading partners. The Hurons would trade their fur with the French for European goods.
The Huron Wendat were farmers who grew corn, beans, and squash. Other items on the Huron Wendat menu included beans, wild berries, nuts and maple syrup. Sunflowers were grown for their oil, used in food and as a body rub. The women of the village planted the three main crops on raised hills.
Iroquois’ destruction of Huronia. In 1649, the Iroquois attacked and massacred. They benefitted from the weakened state of the Huron nation, laid waste by epidemics and divided by the presence of so many Christian converts. The Iroquois laid waste to Huronia.
Wyandot, or Wyandotte, also known as Huron, was spoken near the south end of Georgian Bay off Lake Huron in the 17th century. The Wyandot language is a member of the Lake Iroquoian branch of the Iroquoian language family. Closely related languages include Laurentian, Cayuga, Seneca, Mohawk, Oneida, and Onondaga.
The clothes worn by the men included breechclouts, leggings, shirts, long cloaks and shoulder to waist length mantles. The blackened skins of deer (buckskin) and beaver were used to make their clothing and borders were often dyed red. Huron women wore wraparound skirts, dresses and cloaks.
The three village chiefs were: Walk-In-The-Water, Lame Hand and Splitlog, the brother of Round Head. All acknowledged Tarhe as Titula, leader of the nation, but at the same times, each went their own way as in the War of 1812. By the end of the war, Warrow had emerged as village chief of the Canadian Wyandots.
In the early 1640s, the war began in earnest with Iroquois attacks on frontier Huron villages along the St. Lawrence River in order to disrupt the trade with the French. The French decided to become directly involved in the conflict. The Huron and the Iroquois had an estimated 25,000 to 30,000 members each.
The Iroquois also came into conflict with the French in the later 17th century. The French were allies of their enemies, the Algonquins and Hurons, and after the Iroquois had destroyed the Huron confederacy in 1648–50, they launched devastating raids on New France for the next decade and a half.
The first encounter was in 1609, when Samuel de Champlain, in the company by his Algonquin allies, killed three Iroquois chiefs with an arquebus on the shores of Lake Champlain.